When it comes to purchasing a used car, the Vauxhall Astra is a popular choice among buyers. Known for its reliability, affordability, and versatility, the Astra has been a staple in the compact car segment for decades. However, like any used vehicle, there are several important factors to consider before making your purchase. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the key factors to keep in mind when buying a used Vauxhall Astra.
Factors to consider when buying a used Vauxhall Astra:
1. Budget and price range
First and foremost, it’s crucial to establish your budget and determine your price range before delving into the used car market. You may reduce your alternatives and avoid overspending by knowing how much you are willing to spend. Additionally, having a clear budget in mind will make the negotiation process smoother when you find the right vehicle.
2. Vehicle history report
Get a thorough vehicle history report before making any decisions. Services like CarGurus can provide you with valuable insights into the car’s past, including accident history, title issues, and service records. This report is a vital tool in assessing the overall condition of the vehicle and ensuring it has been well-maintained.
While mileage is an essential factor in evaluating a used car, it should not be the sole determining factor. Lower mileage generally indicates less wear and tear on the vehicle, but consider other factors such as the car’s age and maintenance history. A well-maintained older car with slightly higher mileage may still be a reliable choice.
4. Model year and generation
Vauxhall Astra models have gone through several generations, each with its own set of features and improvements. Research the different generations to determine which one best suits your needs and preferences. Newer models may offer more advanced technology and safety features, which can enhance your driving experience.
5. Fuel efficiency
Fuel efficiency is a significant concern for many buyers, especially those looking to save on fuel costs. Vauxhall Astra cars are generally known for good fuel efficiency, but it can vary between models and years. Research the specific model you’re interested in and check its miles per gallon (MPG) ratings to ensure it aligns with your expectations.
6. Test drive
The buying procedure must include a test drive. Pay close attention to the vehicle’s handling, braking, and acceleration during the test drive. Listen for any unusual noises or vibrations. A test drive allows you to experience the vehicle firsthand and determine if it meets your driving preferences and comfort.
7. Vehicle Price and negotiation
Once you’ve thoroughly inspected the used Vauxhall Astra and are satisfied with its condition, it’s time to discuss the price with the seller. Research the market value of similar vehicles and be prepared to negotiate. Websites like CarGurus can provide pricing insights to help you make an informed offer.
8. Vehicle Ownership Costs
Consider the long-term ownership costs of the Vauxhall Astra, including insurance rates, maintenance, and fuel expenses. Some models may have higher insurance premiums or require specialized parts that could be more expensive to replace.
Inspection checklist for a used Vauxhall Astra before making a purchase
To ensure that you’re making a wise investment, it’s essential to conduct a thorough inspection of the used Vauxhall Astra you’re considering.
- Engine and transmission
- Check for any unusual noises or vibrations when starting and driving the car.
- Inspect for signs of oil leaks or fluid seepage under the hood.
- Test the transmission for smooth shifting and responsiveness.
- Examine the body for rust, dents, or visible damage.
- Ensure that all lights, including headlights, taillights, and turn signals, are functioning correctly.
- Make sure the tyres have enough tread depth and even wear.
- Test all interior features such as the air conditioning, heating, infotainment system, and power windows.
- Look for any unusual odors, stains, or signs of wear in the cabin.
- Suspension and brakes
- Assess the suspension by pressing down on each corner of the car to check for bouncing.
- Test the brakes for responsiveness and listen for any squeaks or grinding sounds.
Common issues and red flags to watch out for when buying a used Vauxhall Astra
While Vauxhall Astra cars are generally reliable, there are some common issues and red flags to watch out for:
- Timing belt: If the car has a timing belt, ensure it has been replaced within the recommended interval, as a snapped timing belt can cause severe engine damage.
- Electrical problems: Check for any malfunctioning electrical components, such as windows, lights, or the infotainment system.
- Suspension issues: Pay attention to signs of a rough or uncomfortable ride, which could indicate suspension problems.
- Check engine light: A lit check engine light may signal underlying mechanical issues, so have it checked by a mechanic.
Popular Vauxhall Astra models with a strong resale value
1. 2017 Vauxhall Astra 1.4i 16v Turbo Sri (150ps) Hatchback
This used 2017 Vauxhall Astra, in a striking red exterior color, has a mileage of 46,983 miles and is equipped with a fuel-efficient 1.4-liter I4 petrol engine, delivering 148 horsepower. It features a manual gearbox and front-wheel drive, offering a combined fuel economy of 49 MPG, with 38 MPG in the city and an impressive 62 MPG on the highway. Perfect for those seeking a stylish and economical hatchback option.
2. 2018 Vauxhall Astra 1.4i 16v Turbo Elite Nav (150ps) Hatchback
This 2018 Vauxhall Astra, with a sleek grey exterior, boasts a low mileage of 29,550 miles and is equipped with a fuel-efficient 1.4-liter I4 petrol engine producing 148 horsepower. It features a manual gearbox and front-wheel drive, offering impressive fuel efficiency at 46 MPG combined, with 35 MPG in the city and 57 MPG on the highway, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a stylish and economical hatchback option.
3. 2020 Vauxhall Astra 1.2 Turbo Sri Nav (145ps) Hatchback
This 2020 Vauxhall Astra, in an elegant silver exterior, features a low mileage of 22,229 miles and is powered by a fuel-efficient 1.2-liter I3 petrol engine producing 143 horsepower. It comes with a manual gearbox, front-wheel drive, and impressive fuel economy with only 99 g/km of CO2 emissions, making it an excellent choice for those seeking an economical and stylish hatchback.
4. 2019 Vauxhall Astra 1.4i 16v Turbo Elite Nav (S/S) Hatchback Auto
This 2019 Vauxhall Astra, finished in a stylish grey exterior, boasts a low mileage of 21,000 miles and is equipped with a fuel-efficient 1.4-liter I4 petrol engine delivering 148 horsepower. It features an automatic gearbox, front-wheel drive, and impressive fuel efficiency, with a combined fuel economy of 47 MPG, 38 MPG in the city, and 58 MPG on the highway, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a convenient and economical hatchback.
5. 2017 Vauxhall Astra 1.4i Sri Hatchback
This 2017 Vauxhall Astra, featuring a distinctive green exterior, offers a mileage of 32,672 miles and is equipped with a fuel-efficient 1.4-liter I4 petrol engine producing 99 horsepower. It comes with a manual gearbox, front-wheel drive, and outstanding fuel efficiency, boasting a combined fuel economy of 49 MPG, 37 MPG in the city, and an impressive 64 MPG on the highway. This makes it a fantastic choice for those seeking a cost-effective and eco-friendly hatchback.
Fuel efficiency in Vauxhall Astra models
Vauxhall Astra cars are known for their competitive fuel efficiency, making them a practical choice for both daily commuting and longer trips. However, it’s important to note that fuel efficiency can vary between models and model years. Here’s a brief overview:
- Petrol vs. Diesel: Vauxhall Astra offers both petrol and diesel engine options. Diesel engines typically offer better fuel efficiency, especially for highway driving, but petrol engines may be more affordable upfront.
- EcoFlex models: Some Vauxhall Astra models come with EcoFlex technology, designed to improve fuel efficiency. These models often have lower emissions and better MPG ratings.
- Model year variations: Newer models tend to benefit from advancements in engine technology, resulting in improved fuel efficiency compared to older models. Always check the specific MPG ratings for the model year you’re interested in.
Buying a used Vauxhall Astra can be a smart choice, provided you take the time to research, inspect, and evaluate the vehicle thoroughly. Remember to consider your budget, review the vehicle history report, and perform a comprehensive inspection before finalizing your purchase. By following these steps and being aware of potential issues, you can enjoy the benefits of owning a reliable and fuel-efficient used Vauxhall Astra. When you’re ready to start your search for a used Vauxhall Astra and access valuable resources, consider using a platform like CarGurus. CarGurus provides a wide range of services and products to help you find the perfect car at the right price, making your car-buying journey as smooth and informed as possible. For more information, visit Findwyse.