Beyond facts and reality, we live in a boundless world ruled by imagination. The realm of fiction invites you to immerse yourselves in coming-of-age sagas, sailing pirate-infested seas, or picturing dystopian societies. Here untouched vistas bloom to life through creative world-building and emotive narration leading readers into the shoes – and heads – of multifaceted characters.
Lose yourself for hours, days, or weeks adventuring fictional tales spanning genres from literary novels to action thrillers, tender romances to gritty horror, and explore the vast and captivating world of fiction books. Wherever descriptive settings, impactful dialogue, and invested storylines exist to absorb audiences, fiction’s call beckons. Heed the call. Disappear willingly through fiction’s portal into lands unknown yet powerfully envisioned.
What are the types of fiction books?
Some types of fiction books include:
- Literary fiction – Focus is on quality writing and character development often exploring social commentary and complex themes. Examples include drama, historical, and realistic fiction.
- Genre fiction – Categorized by specific genres and more plot/action driven like romance, mystery, horror, sci-fi fantasy, etc. Follow genre conventions.
- Historical fiction – Set in the past, mixing real historical events with fictional characters and narratives. Transportive period dramas.
- Crime/detective fiction – Revolves around a crime/mystery structure with a detective or investigator solving the central conflict.
- Science fiction – Speculative fiction incorporating futuristic science, technology and worldbuilding often in imaginary settings.
- Fantasy – Storytelling often incorporates magic, supernatural aspects, and mythical beings like vampires or dragons not based on reality.
- Thriller/suspense – Fast-paced plots that build tension through danger, action and unknowns to build excitement.
- Dystopian fiction – Imagines flawed utopian futures commenting on societal flaws with authoritarian governments.
Along with standalone tales, fiction books can also interconnect through book series that follow consistent characters across continuous storyline arcs with cliffhangers.
Best fiction books at WHSmith
1. My Life with the Walter Boys: Now a Netflix Series!
Picture trading city skyscrapers for snow-capped mountains, designer heels for mud-caked boots, and whispered gossip for the raucous laughter of six brothers. That’s Jackie’s reality in “My Life with the Walter Boys,” a heartwarming, hilarious adventure now streaming on Netflix! Buckle up for a coming-of-age story packed with family ties that bind, first loves that ignite, and mismatched misadventures that will have you cheering. Will city girl Jackie tame the wild Walter brood, or will they lasso her heart with their rugged charm? Find out in this feel-good binge-fest – popcorn’s on you!
2. Fourth Wing: Part 1 of The Empyrean
Ready to spread your wings and dive into a world of thrilling fantasy? “Fourth Wing” is your gateway to The Empyrean, a saga where mythical creatures take flight and destinies collide in a breathtaking aerial spectacle. Join Violet Sorrengail, a young woman with a complicated past and a dangerous power, as she embarks on a treacherous journey to uncover her true destiny. Dragons soar, magic crackles and ancient conspiracies rise from the ashes in this epic first chapter – perfect for readers who hunger for adventure and the magic of flight.
3. It Starts with Us: The highly anticipated sequel to It Ends With Us
Remember Lily and Atlas? Their story was heartbreaking, but theirs wasn’t the only one left untold. Now, dive into the past with Atlas, the bad boy with a hidden heart. Explore the dark secrets that shaped him, the choices that haunted him, and the love that almost broke him. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and maybe even forgive the bad boy you thought you knew. It Starts with Us isn’t just a sequel, it’s a redemption story that’ll mend your heart, piece by agonizing piece.
4. Really Good, Actually
Forget self-help, this is real talk with your funniest friend. Monica Heisey takes you on a hilarious journey through the messy business of being human. From awkward dates to bad hair days, she tackles it all with wit and wisdom that’ll have you nodding along and howling with laughter. This isn’t a book, it’s a mirror that reflects the hilarious absurdity of everyday life, and you’ll love every distorted, relatable reflection.
5. The Running Grave
Brace yourself for a heart-pounding chase through the snow-clad landscapes of Sweden with the latest from Robert Galbraith ( pen name of J.K Rowling). In “The Running Grave,” detective Cormoran Strike and his brilliant partner Robin Ellacott find themselves embroiled in a chilling murder case with deep roots in the past. Lies twist like icicles, secrets lurk in frozen shadows, and a killer leaves footprints in the snow. This masterclass in suspense will keep you guessing until the very last page – perfect for seasoned thriller fans and those seeking a frosty adrenaline rush.
6. Again, Rachel: The love story of the summer
Forget Bridget Jones, meet Rachel. She’s sarcastic, she’s messy, and she’s back for an encore of love, laughter, and second chances. After a year of playing it safe, Rachel stumbles back into the arms of the man who broke her heart. Is it a recipe for disaster or a chance at redemption? Marian Keyes, the queen of funny and relatable characters, crafts a love story that’s as real as it is hilarious. Forget summer flings, this is the second act of love worth celebrating.
Fiction’s versatility never ceases, welcoming all types of readers into worlds limited solely by imagination. Renowned authors and fresh new voices alike spin stories straddling romance, horror, comedy, and infinite possibilities in between within the realm of fiction books. Whether seeking an uplifting ending, pulse-raising plot, or a protagonist who stays with you for life, fiction books at WHSmith promise an unforgettable adventure. For more information on science fiction books, visit Findwyse.